Devotion is a first-person atmospheric horror game depicting the life of a family shadowed by religious belief, which has been released on Feb 19, 2019. The game was developed by RedCandleGames and published by Indievent and Winking Skywalker. Visually, the graphics are stellar and the attention to detail in this game is astonishing: there is so much to take in and admire, and the localization team did a wonderful job transcribing the most important notes and details so that English players don’t miss out. Definitely recommend!
Here is all about the game from steam below
About This Game
From the creators of the IndieCade Journey Award winner Detention, Red Candle Games brings you a story Inspired by East Asian folk culture. Devotion is a first-person atmospheric horror game depicting the life of a family shadowed by religious belief. Explore as a 1980s Taiwan apartment-complex lost in time gradually shift into a hellish nightmare. Delve into the vows each member of the family has made, and witness their devotion.
You step into your apartment, 80s music drifts through the air, an idol show plays on the television; a nostalgic setting surely, but what is this feeling of unease? You question this place you used to call “home,” noticing as it distorts with every shift of your eyes, anxious as your surroundings skirt the precipice of the extraordinary. As you push through each memory, uncovering the layers of each mystery, you may find buried in this home, the unsettling truth of those who lived here.
“Remember what you prayed for…”
- First-person atmospheric horror
- Story-driven exploration and intrigue
- Sound design applying the use of East Asian instruments and 80s Taiwanese music
- Relive the 1980s Taiwanese lifestyle through visuals and setting
- Unique Taiwanese/East Asian reference (folk culture, elements of taoism/buddhism)
Original Theme Song
Written and performed by Golden Melody Award winner “No party for Cao Dong”.
Pros and Cons
Slow but consistant pacing.
Cute little minigames.
I like fish, fish in the aquarium and fish food.
Could had been english dub as option.
More interaction wouldn’t hurt.
Could have used a bit more scares.
- The pacing of this game is incredible, the graphic, similar to games like Outlast, PT or Layer of Fear, is really eerie, grim and melancholy, fitting the game’s setting perfectly.
- Story is absolutely incredible.
- The game is thoughtfully designed and the plot is intricately organized.
- This game has voice acting, background music, and even original soundtracks. Audio in this game is a perfect addition to the overall experience. Audio effect precisely delivers the accuracy of the era.
- Devotion carried out multiple art styles, which is refreshing and unique. Each art style faultlessly portraits the perfect story in the game. There are a couple puzzle elements in the game as well
- The ambiance and soundtrack are as effective as Detention’s in their goal of making your skin crawl or adding just the right note in the many haunting atmospheres you’ll stumble into.
Here is the walkthrough and gameplay on YouTube.
Gameplay – part 1
Gameplay – part 2
Gameplay – part 3
Gameplay – part 4
- Metro Exodus – Walkthrough and Gameplay
- The Dead Tree of Ranchiuna – Walkthrough and Gameplay
- The Cursed Forest – Walkthrough and Full Gameplay
- Dollhouse: Walkthrough and Gameplay
- STARDROP – Walkthrough and Gameplay
- Loco Parentis: Walkthrough and Gameplay
- Mr. Maze– Walkthrough and Trailer
- God’s Trigger: Walkthrough and Gameplay
- AWAY: Journey to the Unexpected – Walkthrough and Full Parts of PC Gameplay
- Ancient Anathema – Walkthrough and Gameplay in PC Version